Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Vicariously “Wicked” via YouTube

I just spent the last 45 minutes watching clips from the Broadway show “Wicked” on YouTube. I have the show's original Broadway cast recording memorized, and I feel like I could step in and play Elphaba anytime you need me to. Unfortunately, I’ve never actually seen the show. Thanks to YouTube, people can experience the show (or at least parts of it) without actually being there. Without leaving my house, I was able to watch clips from the Broadway and London productions and see some of my favorite actors on stage in the show, including Idina Menzel, Norbert Leo Butz and even Taye Diggs. One of my favorite clips was this one from the London production with Kerry Ellis and Oliver Thompsett as Elephaba and Fiyero singing “As Long As You’re Mine.” Their chemistry together really drew me into their story.




I honestly don’t know how I feel about this phenomenon… One on hand, I love that YouTube and other sites like it offer people who don’t live anywhere near New York City (like me) the opportunity to experience shows we wouldn’t get to see otherwise. The downside is that most of the clips I found were from audience members who managed to sneak their cameras into the theater and record part of the show, and I know that’s wrong. I think it all comes out even in the end because the clips on YouTube are bringing theater to more people, and they aren’t necessarily taking any business away from the theaters. I can’t speak for the other thousands of people who watched the “Wicked” clips on YouTube, but I’m still planning on seeing the show live and in person— hopefully when I come to NYC in January!

No comments: