Sunday, November 9, 2008

Save Tin Pan Alley!

I was so sad to read this AP article about Tin Pan Alley in New York City. According to the article, the six historic buildings on West 28th were put up for sale this fall, but (thankfully) the sale fell through. They wanted to tear them down and replace them with a high rise, which would have been an absolute travesty. That site is so important to early American music, and to Broadway music in particular. I would hate to see it go, so I’m glad to hear there are people fighting to keep it around and give it the respect it deserves!

In happier news, I just bought plane tickets to come visit NYC in January! (I hope Tin Pan Alley is still around when I get there…) I’ll be staying with some friends from grad school, seeing the sights, and going to as many Broadway shows as I can. (“Spring Awakening,” “Equus,” and “Wicked” are at the top of my list.) I couldn’t be more excited! I'm already starting to count down the days, and you can definitely expect lots of photos and updates from my adventure!

No comments: