Monday, November 10, 2008

Snowflakes: Not just for winter anymore


Remember making paper snowflakes back in elementary school? You’d fold up the crisp, white paper into a triangle and take your time carefully cutting out the intricate designs and patterns. Well, think of that, then times about 100, and you’ve got “Snowflakes for All Seasons” by Cindy Higham.

“Snowflakes for All Seasons” is a craft book I came across while I was at work today. When I saw it, it immediately took me back to my childhood. It has patterns for 72 different holiday and seasonal snowflakes, and they are all beautiful. There’s a kissy lips pattern for Valentine’s Day, pots of gold for St. Patrick’s Day, and even profiles of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln for President's Day. One of the most detailed designs is a girl swinging from two trees to represent summer. (I haven’t attempted it yet, but I’m planning on it. If I’m successful, I’ll post pictures.)

The book is incredibly easy to use. It starts by explaining how to fold your paper, then gives you one pattern per page. Each page has the pattern you need to create your snowflake and shows what the completed snowflake should look like. The patterns are the exact size you need for snowflakes made from regular 8 1/2x11 paper, but they can easily be copied and resized for smaller or larger snowflakes.

Of course, I had to try a few of the patterns. (I’m always on the lookout for new programs and crafts to do with the teens at the library.) I did the stars for the 4th of July, the butterflies and tulips for spring, and the Nutcracker ballerinas for Christmas, and they all turned out surprisingly well. (Hopefully, I’ll have pictures of my creations posted here soon.) I showed the snowflakes to some teens who were there at the time, and they loved them. I had a lot of fun doing it, and I think I found my next teen program!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a fun activity! I can't wait to see pictures. I never was even good at a basic snowflake. haha